Lawsuits of the Liberty of Bruges - Search Screen

Databanken Akten West-Vlaanderen - Processen Brugse Vrije

Scroll through the surnames on the first letter



Search by surname

New search - surname:

Overview Map

Color Codes Map

    Color Signification
    Red Partial
    Green Complete
    Orange Soon
    WhiteVolunteers requested


This data has been researched and made available by Mr Laurent Inghelbrecht and Mrs Anne Marie Van Basselaere

Laurent Inghelbrecht schreef het artikel "Studenten, stagairs en knechten in de wetgeving en voor de rechter in het Brugse Vrije", verschenen in de Vlaamse Stam, juli - augustus - september 2019, blz. 320 en vlg.


The Palace of the Liberty of Bruges

From 1520 to 1525 the board of the Liberty of Bruges built a new mansion on the Burg. From here it was until 1795 the vast countryside around Bruges was managed. From 1795 to 1984, the house of the Liberty was used as a courthouse.

The City Archive of Bruges since 1988, is housed in the eastern wing of this historic building.

De vroegere Assisenzaal biedt nu een aantrekkelijke ruimte waar bezoekers individueel of in groepsverband worden ontvangen. De leeszaal van het archief is ingericht in de 17de-eeuwse kapel van het landhuis. De aangrenzende lokalen, de Vertrekkamer en de Wezenkamer zijn in gebruik als bibliotheek en bureaus voor de archivarissen.

The monumental chimney of the Liberty of Bruges dates from the 16th century and shows the rich wooden statues of Charles V and his grandparents Maximilian of Austria and Mary of Burgundy to the left, and Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castilia on the right. They can be admired in the old Aldermen Chamber. This room is now accessible as a museum, known under the name of the 'Renaissance Room of the Liberty oft Bruges'.

Het veelkleurig bijgebouwtje behoort nog bij het landhuis van het Vrije en is een stukje van het vorige landhuis dat niet werd afgebroken toen het nieuwe werd gebouwd in de 18de eeuw.

Regarding the coat of arms: the shield with a white background and a blue stripe through the arms of Liberty. The flag of the city has been added there because the former manor house is a building is being used now by the city of Bruges.

English